Policy Engagement & Outreach
As part of its policy engagement endeavour, BIGD regularly organises roundtables, talks, seminars, conferences in order to disseminate its research outputs and publications among relevant stakeholders. The institute periodically organises roundtable discussions on its flagship State of Cities reports.
1. BRAC Institute of Governance and Development (BIGD), BRAC University launched one of its annual flagship research report titled State of Cities 2016: Traffic Congestion in Dhaka City - Governance Perspective on 27 December 2016 at the BRAC Centre Inn, Dhaka. Professor Syed Saad Andaleeb, Vice Chancellor, BRAC University and Professor Nazrul Islam, Chairman, Centre for Urban Studies (CUS), have attended the event as the Guests of Honour. Mr. Naim Ahmed, Former Commissioner, Dhaka Metropolitan Police, discussed on the report, while Dr. Sultan Hafeez Rahman, Executive Director of BIGD chaired the event. Dr. Shanawez Hossain, Research Fellow of BIGD presented the findings and recommendations of the research report at the event.
2. Narayanganj City Corporation (NCC) and Sylhet City Corporation (SCC) have agreed to join 18-month long global joint work programme on “Equitable Economic Growth in Cities'”. Within the auspice of this programme two studies will be conducted and evidence-based policy briefs will be produced. These knowledge products will be shared with city level partnership forum comprising with relevant stakeholders and endorsed by the City Corporation. BIGD will facilitate partnership and conduct city diagnostics to support this programme in two secondary cities in Bangladesh i.e. NCC and SCC. The joint work programme on “Equitable Economic Growth in Cities'” is being globally implemented by Brussels based Cities Alliance, United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS).
3. BIGD launched the SoC 2014 report State of Cities: Governance for a Liveable Chittagong on 29 January, 2015 at the Chittagong Club, in Chittagong. Mr. Mosharraf Hossain MP, Minister for Housing & Public Works of Government of Bangladesh launched the report as Chief Guest. Distinguished civil society members, academics, researchers, representatives from NGOs, politicians from mainstream parties, senior and other journalists attended the event at the Club auditorium. Mr. Salahuddin Kasem Khan, Managing Director, A.K. Khan & Company Ltd attended the ceremony as the Special Guest. Dr. Sultan Hafeez Rahman, the Executive Director of BIGD presided over the programme.
4. A roundtable on ‘State of Cities: Governance for a Liveable Chittagong’ was held on 7 September, 2014 at the Chittagong Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce and Industries (CMCCI) Conference Hall, Chittagong. The roundtable was arranged before the inauguration of the research report in order to accommodate feedback from the stakeholders and intellectuals based in Chittagong. Leading policymakers, academics, citizen groups and journalists of the city were present at the event.
5. A roundtable discussion on ‘State of Cities: Re-thinking Urban Governance in Narayanganj’ was held on 18 June, 2014 at the BRAC Centre Inn Auditorium, BRAC Centre in Mohakhali, Dhaka. Dr. Sleina Hayat Ivy, Mayor of Narayanganj City Corporation (NCC), and Dr. Hossain Zillur Rahman, former Advisor to the Caretaker Government and Executive Chairperson of PPRC among others, were present at the event.
6. A roundtable organised as a follow up to the ‘State of Cities: Urban Governance in Dhaka’. Held on June 27, 2013, at BRAC Centre Inn Conference Room, Dhaka.
7. A roundtable discussion based on a working paper titled ‘The Political Economy of Urban Space: Land and Real Estate in Dhaka City’ authored by Kazi Nur Mohammed Hossainul Haque, Senior Research Associate, IGS. Held on May 25, 2013 at BRAC Centre Inn Auditorium.